Group tours the Casper Aquifer
Group tours the Casper Aquifer
ACCWA booth at Freedom Has A Birthday in Laramie, 2017.
ACCWA booth at Freedom Has A Birthday in Laramie, 2017.

Albany County Clean Water Advocates – formerly Citizens for Clean Water – organized in 2007 to protect the Casper Aquifer from a golf course development. The Casper Aquifer provides about 60% of Laramie’s drinking water supply (the other 40% comes from the Laramie River) and 100% of the water for people near the city with wells in the aquifer. Our goal is to prevent deterioration of drinking water in the Laramie area. Deterioration occurs when contaminants such as nitrates from aging septic systems, hazardous waste from run-offs, pesticides, pharmaceuticals, petrochemicals, and fertilizers leak into the aquifer.

Our mission is critical in Laramie because the Casper Aquifer recharge area lies on or near the surface in East Laramie. It is highly fractured and cracked, allowing any liquids spilled on the surface to percolate down into our drinking water.

Next Steps...

Monthly meetings are held from 7:00pm - 8:30pm on the third Tuesday of the month. Meetings are open to the public and you may join us at St. Matthew Cathedral on 4th & University in the Upbridge room (located directly behind the Clothing Cottage).

Join us to find out more about issues concerning our water and what we are currently doing to protect water in our community.